Thursday, November 23, 2006

Phone calls and visits and emails

I have been getting lots of phone calls and visits over the past few days (as well as lots of very encouraging emails and handwritten letters). Thank you everyone for your support!

One very sad tale came tonight from Mary who is retired living in the east end of Zone 8 (I forgot to ask if I could blog about her, so her name has been changed and there's no address). Mary has lived there for many, many years and has never had a permit in all that time. She used to park just round the corner in the free parking in S1 and never had any trouble finding a space not too far away.

That was until the introduction of S1. Now she's bought a permit for zone 8, and expected she'd be able to park nearby. Not so! She is forced to park out the other side of S1 as far away as Oswald Road! From there she has to walk back to her flat.

I do hope the council will help us with this. As I get more and more stories like this it becomes quite upsetting.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had to put up with zone 8 people parking outside my door (just inside zone s1) for free for 20 yrs and forcing me to have to walk back at midnight regularly from hope terrace. Now I can finally park outside my door and they have to pay for a permit. And guess what? They want to over-run us again! There may be plenty spaces during the day when retired folks pace the streets counting but in the evenings the numbers of spaces in Marchmont S1 are not so large that I am confident we can accomodate all these zone 8 refugees too. I watch and wait with trepidation!

Anonymous said...

well said anonymous. not the only person who thinks like this. everyone i've spoken to in our street (also just inside the S1 zone) is pleased that they can now park in their own street.

Anonymous said...

just to clarify... my worry is that folk leave their cars long-term in our street and when i return home from the airport or wherever find they've taken all the spaces (as used to happen). I know that after hours the parking is not regulated but at least we are protected from the longer-term parking of Zeighters by the fact they have to move their vehicle each morning and evening if they don't want to get ticketed... sorry not originally clear

Paula said...

I can't believe that fellow residents could be so narrow minded - over run you ! Where has community spirit gone....
By the way I actually work full time and so am using up some of my 'precious' spare time trying to come up with a solution and fight our cause rather than sit by and allow the Council to feel pleased with another one of their 'success stories'