Thursday, November 16, 2006

A contrary position

I have received an email going against the trend. I've received so many emails of support that this one rather took me by surprise. I thought it my duty to publish it and Sarah has agreed to that.

Dear Whoever you are who left a note on my car,

If you're logging the number of individuals like yourself who thinks that there should be a straight correlation between number of cars on the street and number of parking permits sold, please note that I am emphatically against your shortsighted cause.

Edinburgh is awash with cars and something needs to be done to reduce the pollution, danger and general gridlock. I dont find it remarkable at all that there are more permits than cars and we all take our chances with what's available. That's fine by me.

If you were to analyse what you see out the window of your Marchmont tenement, perhaps looking beyond your parked car, you would see the distinctive nineteenth century architecture of the street. The area is just not designed for this volume of cars. Nobody had them in 1880. You're griping about trying to fit something into an environment for which it wasnt designed. I'd go wider than Marchmont with this observation: the city is not big enough for all the cars that people want to drive and neither even is the country.

I would be perfectly happy if the car permit doubled in cost and the number of spaces halved. If you dont like the fact that you cant always park your car on the street (which is a privilege not a right in my view), my advice to you is to get a bike, join the car club, or take the bus.

I know that Marilyne MacLaren is interested in this issue. I think our elected representatives are there not just to court the numpty vote, but also to fix a strategic eye on what might be for the general good of our neighbourhood, of our city and our country. I therefore hope that she and you will take into consideration the fact that there is some proportion of your neighbours, me being one, which does not support your action.

yours sincerely,
Sarah Price

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well said

Anonymous said...

As one of the people you would view as a Numpty I find that I would not be able to economically contribute were it not for owning a car. A car which I do my best to minimise the use of but have no choice but to use it. I personally would have no problem paying for restrictively expensive parking permits but this would be unfair on the old, income poor, and others.

I believe it's the function of a city to support its inhabitants not for its inhabitants to be enslaved by the views held 120 years ago.

If you care for the environment, and I suspect you do, perhaps you should consider the environmental impact of vehicles circling at low speeds seaking a space to park. In addition perhaps you should consider the fact that those who are seaking permit holders spaces are not the daily commuters who will be in their offices by the time restrictions come into force but are instead those of us with more irregular patterns of activity and alternate lifestyles such as retirement, on call working, or voluntary work.