Thursday, November 09, 2006

Marchmont and Sciennes Community Council Meeting

As you may know there was an MSCC meeting last night. They have them every month. A few of us went to see what happens at these things. Sarah, Paula, Mailin and I trudged up to the church in Grange Road, braving the cold. Steve arrived separately.

I must say, I had been prepared for several hours of monstrous boredom. Although I've never been to a council meeting before, my relatives have told me horror stories of their local councilsand I thought I was going to be in for a tough time.

It was actually very interesting, much to my surprise. There were lots of people there, many more than I'd expected. I found out all about the rise and fall of crime in the area, school uniforms and tree planting. I confess that I had recently wondered how it is that anyone ever finds out about things happening in their community. Well, anyone who knows me will happily tell me that I'm not the most observant person in the world, to which I usually have to reply, "Sorry, I didn't see you there." That said, this community council looks like an excellent way to keep informed of things going on in the area. I think I will go more often.


We made our case (well, I stood up and fumbled a few words about our campaign; I should have guessed and prepared something), with all of us chipping in ideas and comments. The discussion about parking was perhaps the longest of the evening. It does seem that others have similar pain to us which gives me hope that together we can do something about it.


I got to meet Monica Higgins, the florist in Argyle Place who founded the local traders' association. We were all keen to get the residents and the traders together so that we can come up with a solution that is to the mutual benefit of all.

So, there's going to be a little research group, charged with finding that solution and working out what statistics and facts would best make our case to the council. Monica will stand up for the traders, I will be representing zone 8, Cameron Rose and Assunta will support zone 7 and Dorothy Ryle will speak for zone S1 (I hope I have the names right). Our first meeting is set for Monday at 12, noon; I'll let you know how it goes.


Marilyne MacLaren, the Lib. Dem. Councillor for Marchmont was there, too. She offered to set up some meetings for us and to help us bring our case before the council. I'll get in touch with her and work through what the next steps should be.

Biggest thanks must go to Sarah for buy the beer in the pub afterwards!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

interesting that the chair of MSCC is in zone 7 and the S1 rep lives in the grange rather than s marchmont. We north of s1ers are fed up with being taken for granted by z8ers as an overspill. as far as i can see we are unanimous in enjoying being able to park in our streets.